Saturday, May 26, 2012

Creamy Kulfi

 Kulfi is definitely a different experience.It is a richer and creamier  version of ice cream and what my parents grew up with. They would tell me every time I had a cone of my favorite chocolate ice cream cone " You have your ice cream, but we had our kulfi. You have no idea what you're missing." During the hot Bengali summers, my parents would wait on their verandas waiting for the kulfi man. Once they heard the faint sound of old film tunes approaching, they would bolt out to kulfi man who carried in his carton what their sweet tooths' craved. 

 It's become an occasional treat for us now when we make occasional trips to South Asian grocery stores. So I had a thought after having pistachio kulfi running down my wrist. Why not try making it at home? If kulfi could be made in a hot climate country where I doubt an ice cream maker would be readily available, then perhaps I could make it as well. I looked at the ingredients of the package of the almond kulfi my mother was wholeheartedly licking, and saw that there was two types of milk used, condensed and heavy cream along with sugar, almonds, and guar gum. My first attempt did not quite meet upto my expectations (I didn't have condensed milk so I used A LOT of sugar and added a cube of butter thinking it would make it creamier. Instead all of the butter fat rose to the top when the kulfi froze. It tasted more like a hunk of icy buttery milk. Not tantalizing!) The second time around though I used condensed milk. I also decided to add rose water because I really like the flavor of rose in sweet treats. I was very happy with the results. Definitely worth trying!!





















Ingredients:
1 tin sweetened condensed milk- 14oz
3.5 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 heaping teaspoons ground almond or 1 tbs almond extract
4-5 cardamom pods
1.5 tbs rose water

Directions:
Combine milk, condensed milk, cardamom, and sugar in heavy saucepan on medium high heat
Let it come to a boil, but make sure it does not boil over
Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium low
Add ground almond or extract and rose water
Let it slowly boil until about half reduced and becomes a light butterscotch color
Turn off heat and let cool
It should become thick in consistency
Pour into molds
If you do not have molds pour into paper cups (note: if using paper cups you have to tear it off the Kulfi after it's frozen)
Add Popsicle sticks or plastic spoon or fork
Cover with aluminum foil
Freeze overnight or until firm
Enjoy!



Posted by Nazia
Recipe and Photographs by Nazia

No comments:

Post a Comment